View Single Post
Old November 16, 2007, 09:13 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Great read. Perfectly pointed out our mistakes on analyzing a players calibre and quality. We do tend to over hype any sensational innings by anyone.

My thoughts:
First, Twenty/20 is not cricket. This can't be a measuring stick. Here batsmen are in a hurry to score runs any possible way. No one is asking for footwork and fours down the cover region. Paddle sweep on the fine leg for four is as affective as lucky escape from the slip region for four. If someone has to measure technic of a batsman then it has to be in a longer version of the game. And obviously techic can only get a player so far. The mental strength is more needed in our domestic and international outings.

Nazimuddin may be few years away from international cricket so are the other young pups. If he is so technically ungifted then kudos to him for his mental strength. His scores for BD-A and academy teams in different conditions only shows his sincerity towards the game. Many gifted and talented batsmen failed to duplicate his performance.

In order to produce quality players and not rely on miracle we must follow the prescribed structure and not fast track these boys and destroy their career by shoving them too early. I want J/Zunaed to set International stage on fire. I want Imrul to average 100+. Heck would take a 50+ any day of the week. But they must come through the ranks no matter how talented they are. Why have A teams or academy teams if we are going to fast track players from the U-19 ranks to the national team with out the necessary FC cricket under their belt? No cricket nation above us does that. Not everyone can handle the expectation of a nation. Especially a cricket crazy nation where other sports have no footing in international market. (Is chess a sport?)

We all saw how these boys killed opponents in the U-19 team. We must give them time to pan out to be men. Even that time they had the ability to take on the BD national team with Matin, Aftab in it. My humble opinion is do not fast track these boys!! Let them enjoy cricket. These boys are really good. BCB should want to make them better. Do not put burden on their shoulder as Watmore and the previous selectors had put on Ash, Aftab and such.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; November 16, 2007 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: few extra words.