View Single Post
Old July 13, 2012, 11:51 AM
BC Editorial Team

jeesh, the Caribbean wickets are hardly bouncy these days. They are low and slow. Hence the success of spinners in the Carib first class and the emergence of spinners such as Narine. The "choke 'em" approach is a negative, easy-win. It only works on certain pitches, some of the time. It's not for nothing that even with the great spin attack of the 70s and 80s, India did not start winning away matches until their spinners were complemented by decent pace attacks.

Yes the Razzak, Rafique, Shak attack was very effective but it wasn't formidable - as in inducing fear in the opposition. Annoyance would be the more appropriate emotion I'd posit.

Ian - who is a better evaluator of bowling attacks than you or I - has waxed poetic on the many reasons why BD needs to field 3 pacers in the team and to challenge our pipeline to make that possible.

To recap:

I agree with you that we need a spinner hunt. Other than Shak, I don't rate any of our spinners as "attacking".
I agree with you that Noor Hossain _has_ to be nurtured. Leggies are rare.
I don't agree that a 3-spinner attack, given the next WC is in Australia, is our best investment. Especially given we have very good spin-bowling all-rounders. And it is absolutely the wrong call for our Test attack - whenever we get the rare chance to play one.

Mash, Rubel, Nazmul, Shafiul, Rabbi, Ziaur, Shahadat, Abu Hossain - 3 of these guys will have to be primed and good to go for next WC and playing in every match. (Except Darwin perhaps)