View Single Post
Old March 29, 2004, 03:53 AM
BC Editorial Team

Default hairey amar emotional Bangali bhaira ...

Here in the States, there are two expressions I really like, and one of them is "Sh*t happens!". Essentially, the phrase implies that sometimes unpleasant things happen in life, but one should look at the big picture, just grin and bear it with a shrug, and move on .

Unfortunately we Bangladeshis are the masters of the emotional drama. It starts early, with our mothers unveiling the "noy maash petay raksi ki ei dukhkho pawar ..." line the first time we defy their wishes, and continues with our journalists dishing out such headlines as "chi! bashar! chi! Whatmore". In fact I recall one of our former Nat. coaches (Greenidge perhaps) commenting that "your reporters are emotional & subjective." No wonder Alexandar (aka Iskandar) thought aloud "hai Selucas, ki bichitro ei desh".

From the many accounts I have read on the Rafique incident, the whole thing appears to be a matter of sarcastic comments between two snr cricketers that just went way too far. I think AgentSmith posted a link to jai-jai-din article, which I thought raised some valuable points.

Men in the heat of battle will often say things they will later wish they hadn't. It will be yet another step in the evolution of our cricketers when they become professional enough to handle "khotas" without getting their "prestige hampered" and our reporters will stop pontification and start doing that which their job title implies - namely reporting.

BTW, in case you were wondering, the other American expression I really like is "Don't let the door hit your a** on your way out". That's all I have to say to Mr. Shahidul Ajam of Doinik Manobjomin.