View Single Post
Old November 5, 2010, 07:56 PM
Test Cricketer

Been reading some Sartre, Camus and revisiting Nietzsche. These guys are full of amazing quotes, these quotes are more powerful if you know the context of their philosophy. Namely Existentialism, Absurdism and Active Nihilism.

Quotes by Jean-Paul Sartre:

Quote:
“Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
It is up to you to give [life] a meaning.” 

“If you’re lonely when you’re alone, you’re in bad company.” 

“Three o’clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.” 

“I suppose it is out of laziness that the world is the same day after day. Today it seemed to want to change. And then anything, anything could happen.” 

“I am alone in the midst of these happy, reasonable voices. All these creatures spend their time explaining, realizing happily that they agree with each other. In Heaven’s name, why is it so important to think the same things all together. “

“One always dies too soon — or too late. And yet one’s whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are — your life, and nothing else.”

“In life man commits himself and draws his own portrait, outside of which there is nothing. No doubt this thought may seem harsh to someone who has not made a success of his life. But on the other hand, it helps people to understand that reality alone counts, and that dreams, expectations and hopes only serve to define a man as a broken dream, aborted hopes, and futile expectations.”
Quotes by Albert Camus:

Quote:
“You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.”

“Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.” 

“Live to the point of tears.” 

“Should I kill myself, or have a cup of coffee?” (By far my favorite Absurdism quote)

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.”

And an unrelated quote from the movie "Revolver". Haven't watched it yet.

Quote:
There is something about yourself that you don’t know. Something that you will deny even exists, until it’s too late to do anything about it. It’s the only reason you get up in the morning. The only reason you suffer the shitty puss, the blood, the sweat and the tears. This is because you want people to know how good, attractive, generous, funny, wild and clever you really are. Fear or revere me, but please, think I’m special. We share an addiction. We’re approval junkies. We’re all in it for the slap on the back and the gold watch. The hip-hip-hoo-frackin’ rah. Look at the clever boy with the badge, polishing his trophy. Shine on you crazy diamond, because we’re just monkeys wrapped in suits, begging for the approval of others.