View Single Post
Old April 19, 2018, 02:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
My understanding is fundamentally different to yours and I don't mind that one bit.

My message to Dinraat would be to think of money as a byproduct of a job you love doing. There is more to a job than just earning a salary.
no one said anything different. Now you are dragging the convo else where. You can love your job and tap the potential of the industry. Chances of loving a job that gets you to build products used by billions of people every day is much satisfying than being a software support for ppl who has trouble remembering their password. Thats what I feel. Do not assume that people will hate jobs that are higher paid.

My posts and answers are targetted and relevant to what one seeks. And not a philosophical one.

The assumption is he already likes the field he is studying.

And this "loving your subject" is an over rated but not a practical advice. If you love dancing and particularly not a good one - I would discourage you to take u to take up theater but try to do it in the side while aiming for something better to fall back on.

Just like there are more to a job than just money - there are also a lot more to life than just a job. Being an unemployed or underemployed lovely dancer will bring many other negatives of life to the forefront.

anyways it's a totally different discussion and losing the focus on the main point which is it is very much possible for an engineering/programming grad to make close to 300K and it is not a rare event. Equally so one should not undersold their skills level based another persons experience without fully grasping the picture of an industry.

Taxi drivers on BLS tells u they make 24k a year. That can not be further from the truth.

I do not disagree that an engineer/programming grad is realistically looking at 70 to 90K annually job. But equally there are thousands and thousands of people who are doing very well starting out or few years into their career. It's not an unique feat.

Just like 7 out of 10 businesses will fail but you are not aiming to be one of the 7 ones failing but enjoying the experience. You rather be the 1 of the 3 and loving it even if the odds are stacked against you. For young people, it is often a good idea to look forward to positive things than be boggled down by negative aspect of anything.

I have 2 engineering friends who are doing side project with 2 different group trying to build their own company - ie start up. Stats are against them and chances of them failing is >95% but when i talk to them it is always a positive one about how if it hits it is a multimillion dollar project or if it goes bust you are updating your skill levels. I am not gonna go tell them listen man u just wasting ur time instead watch cricket it's safer and u will enjoy it more. The amount of extra time they spend without getting paid on these project is commendable. they are putting in a second job hours.

after the project fails they will go into a temporary depression mode but it is still worth knowing and trying that there are options to hit one out of the ballpark.

Hope my message is clear.

I rather be a sad engineer than an happy rickshaw puller any day of the week.