View Single Post
Old January 18, 2010, 02:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasin
I am not sure if we are allowed to ask for help or advice in this "Forget Cricket" section but in case it is ok I wish somebody ( I know there are many here who are expert in computers) would kindly advice me about a problem I am facing with my computer recently. My computer shuts down abruptly and I have to start it again. If I start it immediately it shuts down pretty quick. But if I wait for a few hours I am able to work for several hours. Is it repairable or do I have to throw it away and get a new one (I can't afford to buy one right now !)
Tasin,

Is it a laptop? It's a common problem with older laptops (and probably with some new ones too), where it heats up too quickly and shuts down by itself. One way to ensure that this doesn't happen is to make sure that you don't use it on your lap (yeah, what a joke, I know)...or make sure that you are NOT blocking the vents in any way.

If it's a desktop...I'ld open it up, and give it a good blow. You're from Canada...you should find good blowers from computer shops for $3 or 4...and use that to blow out the dust...don't use vacuum cleaners for that for sure. But if you're able to take off the sides of your computer chassis, then you could use vacuum cleaner on them WHILE THEY ARE OFF. The blowers are good because if your computer is turned off, you can even blow over the motherboard and all...it dries up in a couple of seconds, and you can turn your computer back on after just 30 seconds or so.