View Single Post
Old February 20, 2011, 07:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara
Default UDRS under spotlight

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cric...ry/502226.html

Quote:
First, in the 23rd over with Jayawardene on 11, spinner Jimmy Hansra and wicketkeeper-captain Ashish Bagai went up for a huge appeal convinced an edge had been pouched.

The umpire turned it down, but Canada went for an immediate referral. TV replays suggested an edge, but were ultimately inconclusive and the decision remained. Then, in Hansra's very next over, they went up as Jayawardene attempted a drive. Again the umpire turned it down only for the second referral to be called and again TV replays failed to provide a decisive picture.
Quote:
In October last year, the ICC had announced that Hot Spot cameras would be used in the semi-finals and final of the tournament. But an ICC spokesman later told ESPNcricinfo that, "the supplier of the Hot Spot technology advised that it was not willing to supply its cameras for the tournament so, accordingly, they will not be used at any stage in the tournament."

Though Jayawardene was potentially a beneficiary of the absence of Hot Spot, he said later that it was a concern not having it. "I think that's probably the downside to it and I don't think they have Snicko either. I am a big fan of the UDRS, I think if we have technology and if we can use it in a certain way we should."
this is basically the same set of objections dhoni and co had against the UDRS, that not using the full set of tech like ultra slo-mo, hotspot and snicko makes UDRS meaningless.

I still don't understand why ICC, one of the richest sports governing bodies in the world can't fund these tech out of its own pocket and stop asking either the home boards or the broadcaster to pay for it.

Last edited by Neel Here; February 21, 2011 at 12:04 AM..