View Single Post
Old March 25, 2011, 02:01 PM
BC Editorial Team

Some thoughts:
1) Crowd support was more robust for today's QF involving Saffers & NZ - read what you will of it.
2) You cannot discount the emotional reaction to Windies being "responsible" for our WC exit - that accounts, IMHO for the strong Pakistan support in the last QF.
3) As Shubho said, face-painting and flag waving would seem to be a bit much. But I attribute that more to our young people looking for any and every excuse to "party up" rather than some historical-political statement. For those of us who are older and have a sense of the past or the near-past, 71 or a "faluni" cannot but influence how strongly we root (or don't root) for a Pakistan or an India. Younger people - they don't care. They want to move forward. That is how it always is and to rail against that is pointless. Holocaust survivors might never root for a German team but an Israeli youth today could very well be rooting for a Bayern Munich or for a German ski team.
4) As a nation (industrial-military-5-families) Pakistan has never appropriately apologized or compensated for their genocide. As individual people many have expressed regret while others seem oblivious. But that is one dysfunctional country and I don't know how much we Bangladeshi's gain in directing angst against a country that 60+ years after its independence still struggles with something as old-school as feudalism!
5) Afridi goofed - he should have thanked the Dhaka crowd. But over the years he has made enough appreciative statements about BD that I'll cut him some slack. He's never come across as nearly arrogant as Imran and I grew up with an Imran poster!