View Single Post
Old May 11, 2012, 09:47 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib

Kamal prefers Pybus as coach

http://cricket.bdnews24.com/details....id=224357&hb=4

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) President AHM Mustafa Kamal prefers Richard Pybus to be the next Bangladesh coach.

"Pybus is a tested coach. Well-wishers had suggested earlier for appointing Pybus as the new coach of our cricket team. He has arrived and we had discussions over the issue," Kamal told journalists at Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur on Friday.

The former Pakistan coach has been shortlisted by the board as a candidate to coach the national team and was to be interviewed on Friday. The board is also set to interview two other candidates later - Nottinghamshire director of cricket Mick Newell and former New Zealand batsman and coach Mark Greatbatch.

"He (Pybus) wants to know about our cricket and its infrastructure. He also wants to have an idea about issues relating to our team management, cricket board and advantages and disadvantages of cricket," Kamal added.

Kamal said Pybus will inform the board about his decision after consulting his family after he reaches home. Pybus' family has already been invited to pay a visit to Bangladesh, Kamal added.

"We don't have any specific target based on time and event. But Pybus has a specific target for the team besides having a specific target fixed for players of the team," said Kamal.

Kamal added the BCB decided to strike a long-term contract with the former Pakistan coach.

The new coach would be responsible for the team until the next Cricket World Cup. Kamal also hinted that the contract may be extended, if necessary.

He also said some senior cricketers may be introduced to Pybus in the evening on Friday.

Pybus, who arrived on Thursday, visited the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium on Friday. He has been satisfied after inspecting the stadium and the National Cricket Academy.

Born and raised in the north-east of England, Pybus has also expressed his eagerness to take over Bangladesh team and contribute to the development of cricket.

"I want to contribute to the development of the country's cricket. I think cricketers of this country are hungry for victory," said Pybus.

"Earlier, late Eddie Barlow had been a coach of Bangladesh cricket team. I have talked with his wife Kelly last week. She inspired me to take over the new responsibility. Now everything depends on the discussions with BCB," he added.

Pybus, who took up coaching in his mid-twenties, was appointed Pakistan coach for their 1999 World Cup campaign while at Border, before returning to the South African provincial side. He coached Pakistan again until the 2003 World Cup and had stints with Titans and Cape Cobras (South Africa), and Middlesex. He was with Cobras until March 2012 and was also linked to the South Africa job last year.