View Single Post
Old February 11, 2013, 12:10 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonglababu
In fact the game is "evolving" and the batsmen are now readjusting their (stroke making) habits in different versions of cricket . Leg glance was a shot chiefly used by test cricketers before the advent of ODI's. But today's cricket is more physical than those puritanical techniques. Cricketers like Ranatunga, Azharuddin, Boon, Miandad, Dravid used to play those glaces with flair. But its not in vogue in this era of "baseballised" cricket.
Just because cricket is being "baseballised" that means one always has to heave like Junaid to- as jeesh pointed out- deep mid-wicket region? Tamim over the years has become more wristy, and leg glance is still in use as well effective sweepers like Tatenda Taibu.

BPL now have otherwise cracked open that part in their skull where a "good shot selection" doesn't necessarily have to be "force meet force" attack. Purists prefer the straight drives and such because they are not only eye-candy but shows placement/timing skills.

I think I discussed it before but my hunch is if a wagon wheel were to be pulled out there would definitely be some regions where batsman avoids as it's not in his 'comfort zone'.