View Single Post
Old July 20, 2014, 01:13 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default How important is self determination, really?

In light of the ongoing Massacre of Gaza, this thought popped into my mind. Palestinians have been stateless for over 60 years. How important is statehood and independence? Even with viable statehood, Palestine will have significant obstacles to overcome. Good governance is rare in the Muslim world. Internal politics between Fatah and more Islamist elements may even result in armed civil war. What good would it do to have peace with Israel and be at war amongst yourselves? Would a Palestinian state even make the average Palestinians life better, financially and security wise?

I feel that independence and autonomy are one of those sentimental things like "democracy". Every one throws around democracy as if its some magic pill. North Korea even has the word in their official name, DRK. Democracy doesn't guarantee prosperity, human rights, or basic needs. Similarly, does self determination always guarantee something better than colonialism or occupation?

Note: I am not downplaying Israel's brutal and illegal occupation or massacre of Palestinians, but asking a philosophical question instead.

#OneTeam1Dream