Thread: B-League 2009
View Single Post
Old September 9, 2009, 04:18 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Fed Cup begins today

Reigning champions Dhaka Mohammedan Sporting Club faces newcomer Feni Soccer Club in the inaugural match of the Citycell Federation Cup, the curtain raiser tournament of the season at the Bangabandhu national Stadium at 4:00pm today.
In the other match of the day, Brothers Union take on BKSP at the Army Stadium.
The black-and-white outfit, as it prepared for the first match of the season on Wednesday, vowed to retain the Federation Cup, promising an entertaining football from the very beginning.
Mohammedan, who completed their week-long camp in Mymensingh on Tuesday, had a light workout in the club premise ground with coach Maruful Haque leading the session.
Mohammedan with the arrival of their Nigerian trio forward Alamu Bukola Olalekan, midfielder Emeka Christian and defender Dammi Emmanule appeared to be a formidable unit.
Only custodian Aminul and midfielder Mamunul Islam will not be available for the starting eleven. They are still to regain match fitness after recovering from injury.
With 12 players of the national camp under his cap, coach Maruf was supposed to care a little for their relatively weak opponents, but he was cautious. ‘It is the first match of the season and it is always a crucial match. I have asked my players to remain cool and calm and go slow but steady. I hope we will improve gradually,’ said the coach, who won the Federation Cup, beating arch-rival Dhaka Abahani in tie-breakers.
With Bukola and Emily up front, Zahid, Arman Aziz in the midfield, and Nasir, Shaikat and Waly Faisal in the defence, Mohammedan have the best firepower in the field.
Captain Arman Aziz expressed his satisfaction at the preparation. ‘We have shrugged off the fatigue as the coach has built up two teams, with one having the national players. We are fully prepared to sport a good show and start the journey as the champions. Winning the title is our ultimate target.’
Feni Soccer Club practiced in the Arambagh Balu Math and, with a group of the experienced players, promised to play a good football to win the hearts of football lovers.
‘We are outsiders in Dhaka and we have the urge to play a good football to mark our presence in the top-flight football of the country. We will try our best to prove our worth,’ said Feni Soccer manager Babul.
‘I have seen the excitement in the players as they are representing a new club. I hope team spirit will play a big role in our journey,’ said the manager.
The Feni outfit has the experience in custodian Piru, defenders Shahin, Shipon, midfielders Asif Yusuf, Amirul and Ashraful. Anawr, Imdadul and Imrul are the attackers.

http://www.newagebd.com/2009/sep/10/spt.html