View Single Post
Old April 4, 2011, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Zunaid, Hi. Your comment on Vietnam caught me by surprise. I travel to Ha Noi once a month. We have implemented some solutions for Vinafone and Mobifone - two of their largest Mobile operators. The problems that we face there are (a) Lack of English speakers (b) No home grwon software support and (c) Lack of dedicated data centres.

In terms of strategic gaps, considering the fact that I actually interact with Software engineers in Vietnam - Vietnam is behind India in capabilty by as much as Surinam is to the US. The gap even in Tier 1 capabilities would mean 22% growth year on year for the next 40 years for them to catch up with India. Forget for a moment moving up the value chain - just basic data centre operations, availability of E1, T2, T3 Line capability will take a minimum investment of USD 500 mill and around 10 years. Satellite availability is very very low. So no, as of now - we don't have to worry about competeing with Vietnam - my required presence there every month is a fair proof of that fact - or else I would have to look for newer opportunities......cheers
Could ...... not .... resist .....(j/k, please read after the picture)

Off topic: I have had offshore teams in several countries - India, Costa Rica, Russia so am familiar with the scene. I have used developers from Kalyan Rao's new group (he of the Satyam fame) and I think if anything India needs to cautious about East European competition more than Asian particularly because India appears to be moving out of the low skill data entry, phone support outsourcing to higher value work. In fact, I did an ROI and it started to get cheaper for me to higher in US developers than offshore developers for the kind of high-end work we did - the time to market offset any minor $ savings. Unfortunately for me, I could not opt for Bangladesh as the net infrastructure is not there yet - my work involves massive amount of data processing both locally and on the cloud.