View Single Post
Old September 4, 2012, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
I am sure the award was not for potential but for performance. As I stated earlier, u and I did not see what happened in the pitch. So we cannot judge. I am sure it was based on the report given by captain and coach. And 2 grand is really not a lot of money. Interns working in the west earn much more than that every month. And they have worked continuously for almost a year prior to the tournament.
I can see where you're coming from re: you and I not being present, but at the end of the day, rewarding mediocre output has always been a problem for us. It was an U19 tournament, so he was playing against players roughly at the same stage of development as him. If he did get unlucky, he would have had average stats, but he has pretty horrible stats. Yes, numbers are not the be-all and end-all, but they don't lie so blatantly either. If he was really one of the top two performers in the team, it would have reflected in the stats, however slightly.

The coach and captains words are what you make of it - read Anamul's interview and you'll see how happy he is to have secured 7th (not 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th, but 7th) position - again, signs of a tendency to applaud mediocrity. And Sarwar Imran isn't the brightest coach out there, as he has proven during the tournament. Not claiming to know more than them - just can't trust people who are so easily satisfied. If this was Shakib talking, I'd definitely get excited.

Oh and there's no point comparing the Bangladeshi pay scale to the western world. Yes, we would ideally like to get to a point where our sportsmen get rewarded at a scale comparable to the top teams in the world, but the reality is that two lakhs is still quite a bit of money in Bangladesh, especially for someone who ended up 13th on the overall bowler's list (further down if you consider economy/#games played:wickets ratios). If he gets it then why doesn't Liton Das?