View Single Post
Old March 12, 2008, 05:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

My two cents, again: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Going back to Nazim, please don't get your hopes up just yet. His footwork makes him at least a couple of years of Academy and A-Team cricket away from a sustainable career at the highest level.

He also plays across the line and relies primarily on hand-eye coordination to get runs. It is possible to get away with that crap in the domestic circuit given the quality therein, but not the highest level by any stretch of the imagination.

Those technical liabilities notwithstanding, even his friends tease him about choking under the spotlight. Not only did that happen in the T20I WC, but also during the televised matches of the NCL. International cricket is ALL about the spotlight, and I don't expect him to do anything other than what, meaning the MANNER of his dismissals, we've SEEN so far.

Here's how he got out after his heroics against Pakistan. I believe this will show that he is far less ready technically and psychologically than the technically more sound RH Nirala who also has superior temperament up to a certain point.

Except for possibly the dismissal against Australia, T20 cricket DOES NOT give a top order batsman the license to get out in the manner in which he did. His dismissals against Dhaka during the televised matches in this year's NCL ALSO exposed his Tushar-esque footwork and lack of mental fortitude in front of a live audience. Please no silly comparisons to Sehwag or Gayle when it comes to footwork, not yet anyway.

Having said all that, I wish him all the best if he's selected into the XI, and sincerely hope that he proves me wrong and makes all of us (who believe he's not ready) that bitter humble pie ...
Beacuse of his atrocious defense and shuffles inside the crease, he's the perfect LBW candidate, especially against shifting lines of delivery on account of decent swing bowling. That makes him absurdly high risk to be an opener. Even his Chittagong teammates saw that in the NCL and never had him open !

But, I'll have him bat in the middle order instead of the totally out of ODI sorts (from the WC, look as his numbers) Abir - the one with the real Aloukik Kaupal in light of those numbers - and see if he can score a few more until Aftab returns.

Other elements of the thread title? I apologize for not feeling like qualifying them, sorry !
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; March 12, 2008 at 07:35 PM..