View Single Post
Old May 24, 2007, 02:49 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: PRINCE OF KOLKATA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
the bangladeshi vernacular's different from the indian one, and the gap is widening because of obvious differences in our national/social/religio-cultural (NOT religious) experiences. we have distinct dialects like siloti and cha'ntgaiya with deep southeast asian influences also, with the dialents from b'baria and noakhali serving as the more bangla-oriented versions for each. ethnicity-wise, we have 65 non-bengali, indigenous bangladeshi tribes who have their own cultural identity... we're very diverse indeed.

ukranian eventually became a separate language altogether because of similar differences in experience. the serbo-croatian example in the former yugoslavia is a good one too. serbs are orthodox, croatians are catholic, and most bosnians are muslim. they all speak serbo-croatian but the dialects are increasingly evolving into distinct languages since they've become independent. the serbian version has more russian/polish/other slavic words, whereas the croatian version has more latin/german words. the bosnian version has more turkish words. the differences between continental portuguese and its brazilian counterpart, or between dutch and afrikaans, or between peruvian and argentine spanish are other such examples.

arnab can point out the differences between the two two banglas better than i... good topic.
its true, as a west bengali in the UK, i barely understand the sylet bangla my bangladeshi friends speak, even the dhakaiya bangla I struggle with, which is meant to be more like kolkata bangla. If i dont understand I just nod and smile....