View Single Post
Old July 16, 2019, 09:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

On the side-topic:

My BS in CS degree from a US university about 20 years ago was based on the principle that CS was the root of all things software-oriented (as opposed to CmpE, which was hardware-oriented). "Software Engineering" was considered a speciality within a CS major's curriculum, along with other things like "Networking", "Graphics", "AI", etc. My own specializations were "Software Engineering" and "Networking". I had to do majority of my courses in these areas in the last two years. When you wrote your CV/resumé back in the days, you'd mention what your specializations were so that employers could figure out what sort of CS person you were.

Most people doing a BS in CS degree at my university were studying very theoretical stuff for the first 2 years, like algorithms, CS theory (Turing machines, etc), programming paradigms (OOP, for example), computer architecture (mem, cache, CPU registers, etc), and math courses in set theory, stats, prob, etc. After that, for the last 2 years, they would choose their specializations, and "Software Engineering" was definitely the most popular one. The one-and-only way to become a "Software Engineer" back then was to pursue a CS degree with that as a specialization.

Also, CS majors had to take a fundamental CmpE course (logic gates and all that fun stuff), and CmpE majors had to take fundamental CS course (algorithms). Beyond that, there was very little overlap.

Last edited by goru; July 16, 2019 at 10:16 AM..