View Single Post
Old June 27, 2016, 06:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

It is difficult to compare footballers from different generations. Maradona played with lesser team mates true but i think he also played against lesser opponents. Current crop of international players are more athletic, more tactical and players are studied more extensively to have plans at place for them. 5 players sorround Messi the moment he gets the ball...

this is where team cohesiveness comes to play. AT barcelona or any club games, each player understands others game and there is cohesiveness and they play together all the time but at national level these days, you just bring in bunch of club superstars and put them on the field without much preparation.. and you can not win world cups like that... yet they have come so close. That's one of the reason you see Brazil faltering to go even past group stages..

you can see the results of this lack of cohesiveness, some of the passes/assists from Messi, his team mates can not even read, which at club level would probably be goals. IN 2014 WC, there were chances created by messsi which was not put through.. So it is unfair to blame him solely becuase it is not the 80s anymore where one individual performance will get you far... because defense will be placed on your strength..

I don't judge a player based on how many trophies he is getting, i judge him based on the skills he displays on the field. Messi penetrates through 5 good defensive players and sets up goals.. this is nothing short of magic. No other current footballer can do that.

Klose has the highest world cup goals but no football fan will say he is the best german footballer. Even think of Ronaldo of Brazil... his name do not even come up when ppl talk about greatest players these days... with 2 world cup championship....#2 in world cup goals... He was part of a good cohesive team.

Having said all this.. this current ARgentina team has enough strength to be the world champion. Why they can't cross that milestone is hard to answer. I think it's probably a combination of lack of practice together/cohesiveness, superior defense from opponents/facing just a better put together unit (ie germany 2014), perhaps even a little lack of pride in playing for a country that you are not part of since childhood...I don't know. But the team is still coming to finals and falling just short and that too on extra times or penalties.