View Single Post
Old September 20, 2005, 03:31 PM
Club Cricketer

Let me re-iterate...i said this thought has been in my mind for a while, not just after one innings. Just as the commentators have said, Rafique got his five wickets in the last innings not due to superb bowling, but due to the fact that the longevity of his spells were ound to bring wickets eventually, just as Manjrekar said, he got more wickets than anyone because he bowled way more than anyone.
Now in terms of the difference of spinning and taking wickets i think your on your own little planet, because not at one time did i comment on Rafique taking wickets as a problem, i commented on him not being able to 'spin' the ball as a spinner, and that has been evident in the last test and in particular this test, to the extent when even the commentators were commenting on getting rid of Rafique and using Enamel as he can spin the ball.
On the point expressed about judging spinners on the condition of the pitch, fair enough yes i agree with you i should have put that into my previous post, but no i dont agree with you when you say you cant judge a spinners performance JUST because of the pitch. Enamel came out of the first innings with his head held high, he bowled a good line and length most of the time, imparted spin despite the conditions and played well, this is evident in the commentary today as well, all the commentators commented on how pleased and optimistic they were from Enamel's performance, yet were totally dispondent to Rafique's performance. So the way a spinner bowled in hard conditions as today says as much about the person as a player, and as in my previous post, im delighted and optimistic about Enamel's future but in my opinion Rafique isnt very good. He didnt know what line to bowl as an 'experienced' 35 year old, and just recollect the comments made by the commentators....'he is a ODI bowler not a test bowler', 'how can he suffer with loss of confidence after taking a 5-wicket haul', 'he is a negative bowler', 'im very disappointed with Rafiques bowling...wrong line and length...doesnt seem to know what he is doing'.