View Single Post
Old August 20, 2006, 12:24 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Both Liverpool and Arsenal drew their first match, Tottenham lost, so it's not that bad after all..

Anyway, United are appearantly signing England midfielder Owen Hargreaves who you may remember from the WC as one of the only few England players to show real talent and hardwork.

Owen Is Fergie's For £17m
Owen Hargreaves is set to join Manchester United in a £17million deal within the next 48 hours. The England midfielder has agreed personal terms with United and is expected to be confirmed as Sir Alex Ferguson's final summer signing this weekend. United had hoped to land Hargreaves for £13m but Bayern Munich held out for the maximum price for their World Cup star. Hargreaves had made it clear to Bayern that he had no intention of playing for them again once he learned of United's interest. Hargreaves is seen as the ideal man to play the holding midfield role alongside £18.6m fellow summer signing Michael Carrick.
David McDonnell, Daily Mirror

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pa...&newsid=355877

This is great news for United, since they now have a formidable midfield with also Carrick on the lineup. Despite Rooney's controverial 3 match ban, things are looking up since he's made peace with public enemy #1 Christiano Ronaldo.

Don't Boo Ronaldo Pleads Roo
Wayne Rooney has called on the boo boys to lay off Cristiano Ronaldo.
The Portugal winger has been installed as public enemy number one after playing an active role in getting Rooney sent off during England's World Cup quarter-final defeat in Gelsenkirchen.

Alan Shearer and Frank Lampard have both publicly condemned Ronaldo for his behaviour and after being booed throughout his first appearance for Manchester United at Oxford on Tuesday, the 21-year-old appears to be in for a torrid time this season.

But after making his own peace with Ronaldo, Rooney does not feel his United team-mate should be subjected to any more abuse.
"I would rather he didn't get any stick," said Rooney. "You do not want to see any player get booed.

"Unfortunately, whenever England do not do well in a World Cup or a major tournament, people look for a scapegoat. This year, people turned on Cristiano and tried to make him that.

"I am not going to lie, I was disappointed with his involvement in the sending off. But that is in the past now. He was playing for his country, I was playing for mine.
"But I think he is big enough to deal with anything that come his way. You saw that the other night. Cristiano got booed but he still scored two fantastic goals."

Rooney spoke to Ronaldo on the evening of the quarter-final and was assured by the former Sporting Lisbon star there was nothing personal about his conduct, especially the infamous wink to the Portugal bench as the England forward was embarking on his distressing walk to the tunnel.
"A lot has been said about the wink," said Rooney.
"I have spoken to him about that but it had nothing to do with me being sent off."
Rooney was speaking at the launch of his recently-released autobiography 'Wayne Rooney: My Story So Far'.

He insisted his relationship with Ronaldo is good, which will be welcome news to United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, whose Treble-winning team famously contained two players, Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham, who steadfastly refused to talk to each other.

Ferguson need have no such fears about Ronaldo and Rooney, although the former Everton star insists having a off-field relationship with his team-mates is not a neccessity.

"You do not have to like someone to play with them," said Rooney.
"In the end, even if you don't like them off the pitch you want to play with them and you will fight for them and work 110% because you are on the same pitch if you are in the same team.

"But I like Cristiano. We are good friends off the pitch.
"There is no problem with him. Now, we are both playing for Manchester United and trying to do our best for them."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football...y_Ronaldo.html