View Single Post
Old August 1, 2007, 02:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Since my main line of work is auditing fraud in US, allow me to explain few things.

1) The criminals (nursing home owners, doctors, pharmacuetical companies, therapists, hospitals, health care providers, etc.) mostly don't see cheating/fraud as a wrong doing. Most of the time they think they are just taking advantage of the current rules that Department of Health services. In their eyes they are not doing anything wrong. Be it upcoding, double dipping, real-estate gain (Nursing home owners), or just not providing the services.

2. Greed. You steal $10. you get away with it. Then $20. Then $40. You still get away with it. Thinking no one is watching. You try to steal $millions$. You get caught.

3. Govt. is the big bad wolf. We pay enough taxes. Stealing/not paying the govt is justifiable.

4. Drugs. Narcotics can make people do things they wouldn't do in the first place. Doctors would over prescribe, Nurses would steal, Junkies would form rings.

++++++

Our politicians are similar and they have few more characteristics.

5. Bribe. Be it to be nominated by the party, or to give out projects to companies or individuals.

6. Payback. I have given up 5 crore to get a seat for 4 years in the parlament. By hook or by crook I would make sure I get back 10 crore or more.