View Single Post
Old July 29, 2009, 02:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Default More misery for WI team

Roach, Reifer found guilty of breaching ICC Code of Conduct

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/...100224481.html

Quote:
West Indies fast bowler Kemar Roach and captain Floyd Reifer have been found guilty of breaching the International Cricket Council (ICC) Code of Conduct following hearings in Dominica yesterday.

The duo both pleaded guilty to the charges and ICC match referee Roshan Mahanama of the Emirates Elite Panel handed Roach a 10-per-cent fine and Reifer an official reprimand.

The charges related to two high, full-pitched balls delivered by Roach to batsman Shakib Al Hasan during the course of the match in which Bangladesh beat the West Indies by three wickets to take an unassailable 2-0 lead in the series.

Explaining the guilty verdict and his reasons for imposing the punishments, Mr Mahanama said: “In the case of Kemar Roach I took into account the fact it was his first offence but, at the same time, I felt it was important to emphasise that this type of conduct is completely unacceptable and by fining the player I believe I have done so.

“Part of the role of the captain, as highlighted in both the Laws of Cricket and the ICC Code of Conduct, is to make sure that incidents such as this do not take place but Reifer failed in that role and, again, I made it clear to him that was unacceptable, hence the official reprimand that now appears on his record.”

The West Indies team was also fined for maintaining a slow over-rate during the match with Mr Mahanama imposing the fines after Reifer’s side was ruled to be one over short of its target at the end of Bangladesh’s innings when time allowances were taken into consideration.

Reifer was fined 10 per cent of his match fee while his players received five-per-cent fines.