View Single Post
Old September 26, 2007, 08:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Thank you Miraz bhai for this beautiful and impressive piece of work.
I do not want to reiterate what I have written when I introduced myself. I have never been so emotionally involved in any cricketer's career as I have been with Ashrafuls's.
My story begins in Sri Lanka where I was living temporarily. I used to watch cricket matches when any team visited SL. Bangladesh was touring in 2001, so I decided to go and watch the test match, even though Bangladesh was having a hard time.
Imagine my amazement when I saw a little fella who I believed was not more than 16 yrs of age came to the crease. My first thought was that he was not going to survive the SL bowling attack. Anyhow Ashraful seemed quite calm and went about his innings very carefully. As I watched him, I could not believe that my heart was thumping and I was praying that this lad succeeds and that he survives the bowling.
As the overs ticked by, he seemed to gain confidence, and when he reached his fifty, the crowd began to applaud and started shouting- "Go Ashraful, go Ashraful," they wanted him to continue because he was playing brilliantly.
Ash began to bat as he was possessed, he came down the wicket and continuously hammered Murali, he was FEARLESS, and with the encouragement of the crowd, he gained more confidence. When he neared his century, the crowd began clapping, I was praying, and when he did reach it, the crowd jumped to their feet and gave him a rousing applaud. He looked so small, then it was announced that he was the youngest player to score a maiden test century. I could not believe that I had seen something of near genius from this little fella and there, I fell madly in love with Ashraful from that day. I could not follow his career very much because i had to live in different parts of the world, but am settled now in Canada, so am able to follow more carefully. He has disappointed me a lot, and the term "Prodigal Son" aptly describes him.
Anyhow, Inshallah, I hope to see him blossom as a better player and good captain.