Cricket Guru

If fit, following players pretty much cemented a place in the WC squad:

Tamim
Liton
Shanto
Shakib
Miraz
Taskin
Mustafiz (not happy with him, but don't think anyone will dare taking the risk leaving him out of WC Squad)
Hasan
Ebadot

Following players are likely to make the team, but I would not be surprised if Hathuru gamble otherwise:

Mushfiq: His last two innings still does not convince me that he's back in his old form. But we don't have matches against quality oppositions before Asia Cup, to test his back up properly. So, even if Mushfiq fails during Asia Cup, we may not have any option but to keep him.

Hridoy: Like Mash said, he has been brought in LOI teams in a rush. His debut success against Ireland still doesn't convince me. In our conditions, I believe many DPL sides have better bowling attacks than Ireland do. I am not questioning his talent, but he was not vetted properly before his international debuts to work on his weakness. The hype around him may carry him to the WC, but I will not be surprised if opposition bowlers figure out his weaknesses by then.

Yasir: The current gamble on #7. Yasir is not really a good fit for this role, as he takes few balls to get set. But Yasir is talented, has backing of Tamim. So, it's likely they will carry him in this role to World Cup, hoping he will grow into the role.

Nasum: In absence of a leggie, it's very likely that our management will keep an SLA on the bench. On ICC made flat pitches, that option is much more likely to be Nasum than Taijul,

Players at risk, but still may have a slim chance:

Riyad: Unlikely to make the cut, mainly because Riyad no longer fits the role at #7, can't bat at the SR the role demands in an ICC event. I think Riyad can still be an excellent option at #4 or #6, but Hathuru may be more interested in other options for those positions. So, it's likely that Hathuru will gamble on an untested option for #7, and may not accommodate Riyad for a position higher up.

Nurul: Lost the wind on his sails, selectors and Hathuru seems more interested in younger and more talented batters like Zakir (who also happens to be a keeper) or Shamim.

Zakir/Shamim: Selectors and Hathuru are interested in those two, but senior players are not letting those two break into playing XI, even against weak oppositions. It will be ridiculous to see one of them taken to WC without a proper vetting in international stage. But, given our history, that may happen. Zakir has a higher probability as he has proven himself in all three formats in domestics, and can be a backup keeper in the squad for a long World Cup campaign.

Shoriful/Mrittunjoy: It's confusing to me why a toothless pacer like Shoriful still lurking around the ODI squad, or why Mrittunjoy has been ignored in a home series against Ireland. One of them may make the WC squad, or both may be ignored.

Afif: The squad is still carrying him, though he's no longer getting a place in the XI. Afif already expressed his dissatisfaction having to bat late order, where he's not doing well. Hathuru is not willing to promote another lefty up the order, so it's confusing why the team still carrying Afif. Shamim or Zakir seems more logical choice in Afif's place, as they're versatile enough to move up and down the order.

Last edited by Eshen; March 19, 2023 at 05:07 PM..