View Single Post
Old September 2, 2004, 11:32 AM
Club Cricketer

I agree that Bangladesh were always going to get test status and will definitely succeed at test level. It is just a matter of when and how quickly.

As for divergence. Well the World Cup is every four years. If an associate side does not qualify then interest subsides for four years along with any attraction for sponsors. I happen to think this cycle damages the chances of associate countries. If you qualify you also get ICC support and funds to sustain the national side. If you don't then you suffer. On merit is understandable but circumstances mean that there is a 'boom or bust' for the associate country and a problem sustaining progress. Canada, Namibia and Holland qualified for the last World Cup much to our disappointment. This resulted in a vacuum for the Scotland side. The same will happen to these three teams if they don't qualify for the next one. Things are improving however with a yearly ICC Intercontinental Cup and a recent Six Nations tournament in Dubai.

Participation with the counties in the National Cricket League has raised the profile of the national side considerably. However attention wanes without conspicuous success and without a realistic appreciation of the likelihood of success. We did have a crowd of 2000 - 3000 for a home NCL game last year.

As for Scotland well I think I am right in saying cricket is the number one sport in Bangladesh. It is definitely not in Scotland. It carries unwarranted baggage of a game for softies and for the English. This is despite the game being played in Scotland for over 170 years. So attention in the media is a problem. People here were wondering about tv or even radio coverage for the Bangladesh game. Not a chance. In fact we don't get any tv money for playing in the NCL and only one televised game. All this means that sponsors do not queue up. Nor is it a priority for government sports assistance. It is not one of nine 'core' supported sports for Scotland.

Not much money means unpaid and part-time players for Scotland. The players use their holidays to play. So far they have played 30 odd international games this year, plus club cricket, and regional cricket. So this and work mean big demands are being asked of the players. Rumour has it they are tired after such a season.

As for structure. Scotland play age group cricket every year with the European sides (Holland, Ireland and Denmark). However giving our younger players enough exposure to a high standard of cricket inside and outide Scotland is an issue. There is a top level national club league and a pyramid structure below. District matches have been revived to provide a level between club and the standard encountered by the national side. However there are conflicts between the wishes of the clubs and the desires of the national side. So it remains to be seen whether the Scotland national side will move forward internationally or slip back.

So I'm sure Bangladesh has problems but so do Scotland. Just different ones I suspect. Oh, and then there is the weather

Edited on, September 2, 2004, 4:41 PM GMT, by Trueblue.