View Single Post
Old March 16, 2005, 10:01 PM
Test Cricketer

Now see what this former cricketer is saying. I contradicting himself in the same sentance!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/4353603.stm

Richardson defends Test cricket

Twenty20 and one-day cricket might provide the funding to continue with Test cricket as it is

Mark Richardson
Former New Zealand batsman Mark Richardson is hoping the International Cricket Council does not damage the "holy of holies" that is Test cricket.
Richardson quit Tests in Decmber 2004 after playing 38 times for his country as a successful opening batsman.

The ICC is meeting in Delhi this week where it is expected to announce changes to the format of Tests.

Richardson told BBC Radio Five Live: "I hope they don't go for reducing Tests or compulsory declarations."

The ICC may decide to restrict the number of Tests played by Zimbabwe and Bangaldesh, who are routinely beaten in facile fashion by the other eight Test nations.

Richardson admitted: "That is an option - at the moment you have to look at Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

"It's a shame what's happened with Zimbabwe because they were actually a reasonably good side about four years ago but you don't want one-sided games."

But to exclude them altogether, or operate two tiers of Test nations could prove dangerous, he added.

Have Your Say on TMS
Do changes need to be made?
"You run the risks of the subcontinent sides saying we'll go out on our own and that might cause a problem as well."

But he said most of the other sides could use Test cricket "to have a good catfight amongst themselves and raise their own games".

Richardson went on: "You've got two very good Test sides in Australia and England and it's up to the rest of the world to raise their own games to play against them.

"I would love to see Test match cricket continuing.

"But if they want to keep Test cricket the holy of holies then they have to accept that Twenty20 and one-day cricket might provide the funding so we can continue with Test cricket as it is."

He said he enjoyed watching an eagerly-contested draw over five days as much as a tense finish in a one-day international.