View Single Post
Old October 26, 2011, 02:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Mahmudullah set for 2nd Test

With vice-captain Mahmudullah all set to join the Bangladesh national team for the second Test match against West Indies in Dhaka, a change in the playing eleven is now an absolute certainty, said the BCB sources on Wednesday.

Bangladesh, who drew the first Test match against West Indies in Chittagong, are expected to be bolstered by the return of Mahmdullah after recovering from dengue

Mahmudullah, who had to withdraw from the squad on the eve of the first one-day international against West Indies after he was afflicted with the virus, is expected to resume practice with the national team today where he will go through a fitness test.

‘A change is expected to come in the squad as well as in the playing eleven as Mahmudullah will be available for selection,’ a selector said requesting not to be named.

‘He is a proven performer as well as the vice-captain of the national cricket team, so he must be included in the playing eleven. In that case surely there will be a change from the eleven that played the first Test match against West Indies,’ he added.

It was learnt that Imrul Kayes is expected to be excluded from the squad that played West Indies.

Kayes scored only 10 and 13 runs in the two innings of the first Test in Chittagong.

Kayes has scored only one fifty in the 15 Test matches he played so far since his debut in 2008 against South Africa at Bloemfontein. He has a disappointing average of 17.03.

If that happens then Naeem Islam will be promotes up the order at number three with Shahriar Nafees partnering Tamim Iqbal at the top.

Shahriar made a half-century in the second innings against West Indies while Naeem made an unbeaten 36.

Naeem also scored a half-century as an opener in the second one-day international against West Indies

Mahmudullah said he is feeling fine and hopes to pass the fitness test today at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium.

‘I am fine and let’s see how I fare in the fitness test. but I am hopeful that I will pass test and will be selected for the second Test match,’ said Mahmudullah.

Meanwhile, Bangladesh skipper Mushfiqur Rahim said it won’t be a problem to include Mahmudullah in the team.

‘I have spoken to him and if we find that he is totally fit then it won’t be a problem to include him in the team,’ Mushfiq told reporters at a news conference on Tuesday after the conclusion of the first Test.

Source: NewAge

So it looks like Imrul will get dropped and SN will open with Tamim. Good decision in my opinion.