View Single Post
Old March 27, 2016, 03:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq
From what I have seen, our batsmen barely play straight bat against the spinners.
They either play too many cross batted strokes on the leg or slices hard on the off. Also dancing down the wicket is very poor for most of our batsmen. Almost always its pre mediated. They expose their intentions way to early.

Most importantly, none of our batsmen can play the off or on drive to the spinners, something Ash was brilliant at. Reaching out to the pitch of the ball and driving it. Rather then reaching out to the pitch of the bowl, our batsmen ten to go down the track and there get stumped or edged.
But, if you play with a straight bat, won't you get edged every time? Especially as this lot struggle with spin to begin with, as it seems from their recent performance.

Yes, you won't be bowled out, and won't be stumped either, as a straight bat allows more defense and balance. You will connect with the ball, and when you miss, you can quickly get back to the crease. However, you will get edged with a straight bat. Hence why coaches instruct you to play cross batted strokes or the sweep against spin.

Anyway, our batsmen were so darn horrible against slow bowling, I don't think it comes down to technique but more a mental block. Just because it's t20, I feel that they focus a bit too much on boundary strokes, rather than finding the gaps for ones and twos. There also seems to be extreme negativity on going at a run a ball, even when the situation demands that you do for the time being. Just because it's t20, they have this notion in their head that either you should hit a six after some time, or you should get out. Imagine how scary that is, if your whole batting order thinks that way, and all go out like that one by one. When the situation demands partnership, you must build one. Don't give the spinners too many dots, muster up the guts to commit to some shots for ones and twos, that should be easier than getting 4s and 6s.