View Single Post
Old October 22, 2011, 03:22 PM
BD Correspondent, ESPNCricinfo

October 22: Day 2 of Test match

You must pardon the journalist here. The day of cricket ended at 11am so we decided to go around Ctg after work and hence the delay in my post here.

As you all know, the second day got hijacked by BCB's reluctance to fix a long drawn out problem.

Once the game was called off, I walked down from the press box and needed to cross to the other side and it was like i was crossing a really dirty patch of land. Parts of the ground smelled of old muck (those who've played football/cricket in a village field would know) which was strange given that this was in an international cricket venue.

The day was of finding a story to file and we came across some key figures of the Test including both Shahriar Nafees and Fidel Edwards. Half of Nafees looked like a man from China but he looked happy to be out of harms way. The man who struck him, Fidel, took the photo op and did the handshake. Fidel's voice is exactly like Michael Jackson and his Bajan drawl is out of this world (you can't understand most of it).

Having already talked to the curators (Babu and Gamini), we had a media brief with Munna bhai (BCB grounds chief) and he was just shot to bits by some of my colleagues. He blamed the NSC but the question of the day remained: Why doesn't the BCB do anything about it? There's no point waiting for a governmental organisation to do anything.

Rumor has it that the NSC's reluctance is simply a cheap political ploy: Lotus Kamal didn't invite Ahad Ali Sarkar to the prize-giving podium in any of the games and hence, the delay.

You don't have to believe me but that's the rumor doing the rounds these days.

Highlight of the day: BCB security guy asking our bus to take a detour through the village just so that we suffer a bit. But as journalists are, we endure it all.

J.O. of the day: BCB

Stat of the day: The ZACS uses 36 small covers and yet, the water kept leaking into the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
Isam,

Love your great concise writing! I keep coming back to this thread looking for your "verdicts".

But after devouring down the verdicts, I am left wishing that there was a little more to read. Can't fault you for that - these are verdicts, not reports

Can you do us the favor of adding anecdotal observations, be it on the players, the spectators or even the ambience overall? And, thereby make these verdicts longer? Please? For me, being thousands of miles away from the stadium, your reports adds the flavor of almost being there.