View Single Post
Old October 21, 2003, 12:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

Sham, how many players in the world are comfortable against Shoeb at his best? He single handedly destroyed almost every top order including Australia's. It is one of the main responsibility of the batsmen to never give any encouragement to this type of bowlers. That's why cricket is such a great sport....It is played as much in the head as in the ground. And talking about watching a batsman play against pace and looking uncomfortable....I just want to give one example.....Steve Waugh.....In the beginning almost every fast bowler thought he is uncomfortable aginst short stuff. I vividly remember him aginst WI in WI (Taylor was Australian Captain). Walsh and Ambrose hurled everything at him.....He simply dropped his wrist and stood. The ball hit him everywhere...arms, helmets, armguard even chest. That was such an extreme case of uncomfortability against pace (and he was worse earlier).....but he was the man of the series for Australia.....Actually he was the difference between the two sides. The point I want to make is that it is the way you adjust to your shortcomings...it is the guts that will matter in the end.... Javed has shown that he can adapt (as "cricketislife" has pointed out). And I personally know how hardworking he is! Please don't take me wrong.....I am not trying to prove anybody wrong. I am just trying to explain what I think. I don't think Javed is world class (And in no way I am comparing him to Steve Waugh); But let somebody consistently prove that he can do better than Javed. Even Hannan was a relative flopp in Pakistan (I am talikng of tests). Anyway, I am writing all this in good spirit...I like your posts and they are very authoritative and informative.