View Single Post
Old October 14, 2006, 04:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Shahriar Nafees and Md. Ashraful were discovered in the same Wahidul Gani talent search/camp. One has, for a BD batsman, started to show remarkable consistency and hunger for runs. The other continues to drive fans nuts with his profligate ways that belie prodiguous talent. One was introduced to the national side early, skipped education with some early success. The other was brought up through a steady diet of age-based cricket and A-team tours and thus was able to keep up with school. Guess which one is looking good right now?

All you fans of play them NOW. Play Mushfique now. Play Mehrab now. Get rid of "buiras" - this should give you something to contemplate on. Should we purge the non-performing "buiras" (btw, we should call them veterans because many of the "buiras" are pretty young), and play the youngsters now? After all, out of fire is forged the toughest steel (or Tendu). Or is it better to be patient, take the losses with the inconsistent "buiras" while PROPERLY grooming the younger talented ones. I definitely advocate the latter. The payoff will be worth it (as it appears to be with SN, Shahadat)

You'll find Dav agreeing with me. Here's what Whatmore had to say about SN: "He's enjoyed the opportunity to tour other countries before he got the chance with the national team and has received valuable instructions at the academy and A levels."
Very logical conclusions. However I think it also depends on the individual to a great extent. Meaning, ashraful might have been more successful had he had more brains ( no offence intended). I m not comparing but tendulkar was also thrust in at a young age and he got through because he was extremely talented and converted talent to scores. Ashraful althouth talented but not like tendulkar for sure has not bee able to convert his talent into scores because of his mental blcok. He only knows how to play crazy and hit everything or be submissive and block all day. He is a bit premeditated on his batting. If he could get over this mental block and play according the balls and situation he would be much better. He needs to be sent back to domestic league and neeeds to tour countries with the A team to gain back his form and maybe fix his mental problem ( no pun intended).