View Single Post
Old April 28, 2012, 12:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Our current song is too nature based. It makes us weak as a nation to have two whole lines in the anthem dedicated to a fruit. And what if I don't like mangoes? Did Tagore not think the Bengali people loved grapes as well? I'm ashamed to say that Pakistan has a way cooler national anthem than us, and India's one is marginally better as well. My favorite national anthem has got to be Kazakstan's one. Check it out if you can, greatly bellicose, deep roaring melody. Awesome stuff. Ours is just so blase. It's even possible to fall asleep in the middle of singing it, and has to go down as one of Tagore's worst compositions.

So what do we do now? I say it's time to replace our national anthem with something more ferocious and sacred. Let's not keep this tree hugging, whale kissing, piece of boring anthem we have right now. Let's go with the liberation theme, it's always a great instigator of emotions and will never fail to move us. We shall never have to yawn again in the middle of the anthem.

Sung or orchestrated correctly, our anthem gets more praises than any of the other other subcontinental anthems. You do know that probably a quarter or more of Pakistanis have a hard time understanding the meaning of their anthem ?

If roaring melodies/aggressive tunes are your forte, there are many of them as good as or better than Kazakhstans: check out their neighbour Uzbekistan's, or better still Romania, the ever bloody La Marseillaise or the Turkish Istiklal Marsi.

The slowest anthem i have ever head is Taiwan's yet it is very effective. New Zealand has a similarly slow paced anthem to ours, talking of love, peace, praises and what not, yet its one of the most popular anthems in Rugby World.