View Single Post
Old July 28, 2012, 01:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
That's utter, orientalist crap if you ask me. Ottoman and Mughal periods created the Islamic renaissance those guys never talk about.

One can always read Al-Ghazzali, and read legitimate Ghazzali scholars to discover Ghazzali for themselves.

Both Dawkins and Yahiya have their respective sociopolitical agenda because they actively advocate public education policies based on their belief.
I've been meaning to read Incoherence of the Philosophers for a while now. I guess that will help me more in crafting an opinion.

IMO, Dawkins is advocating for public school education to focus on only what is empirically proven through science. Keeping religion and religious myths out of public education is a good idea, wouldn't you agree? Harun Yahia, on the other hand, wants his creationism being taught alongside the science of evolution. Why should his creationist myth have precedence over the other religious/cultural creationism myths? Sure - Dawkins has an agenda and that is to keep religion out of school. He doesn't mind creationism being taught in churches/mosques/temples. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Quote:
I like what Jefferson, may GOD rest his soul in peace, had to say about the separation of religion and state. He said that only such separation can keep religion free of the corrupting influences of state and politics, and keep state and politics away from religious controversies. Very different from the European model where the religion of atheism under the guise of scientific reason must eradicate traditional religion.
Atheism is not a religion, and neither is it out to eradicate traditional religion (unless "eradication" means preventing the traditional religions to force-feed others their beliefs).