View Single Post
Old December 9, 2006, 08:13 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
And the fact that Indira Gandhi promptly obliged that request removes a lot of doubt about India's hidden non-altruistic ulterior motives, at least in 1971-1972. Indira Gandhi might not have removed her army for years, and realistically, there was nothing Bangladeshis could do to budge an army as big and resourceful as the Indian army.
true...but anyone who underestimates the ambition of a guerilla is in for a life of sleepless nights. the days of going to someone else's country and ruling them for however long ended with WW II.

india wouldn't have tried to do what pakistan had been doing for the 9 months prior, unless they wanted to shed their own blood on foreign soil. besides, i can't think of a reason why india would want to maintain a troop presence (at the cost of crores of rupees and gallons of blood). sure the US has troops in Germany, Korea, Japan, etc. but they have reason too (bases), and don't face any resistance. firstly india could just establish those bases in assam or the 7 sisters, and bengalis would not have fought the pakis for 9 mos to be subjugated yet again.

bottom line is, the threats that the Indian gov put on us from time to time, indicate the genuineness of their altruism. again, i am not implying that you believe that, i'm just saying for the sake of clarity.

anyone who expects certain concessions , or resorts to outright threats upon denial of said concessions, after previously helping someone...that says a lot about the quality of that "help", IMH(and correct)O

#OneTeam1Dream