View Single Post
Old March 17, 2015, 07:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
We kind of alter the British influence onus. Instead of having tea in the afternoon with pastries and other sweet treats, we sewed it into the breakfast menu. So now it accompanies roti with eggplant, roti with fried pumpkin, roti with beans(curried). Yes, it most likely integrates into the fabric our culture( different races),africans, chinese, indians, portugese, and the europeans, not forgetting the indigenous people.
Well, I grew up in Dhaka and lived there until the age of 12. 1988 does seem like a long time ago though! Our typical breakfast used to be a half-boiled egg and perhaps one slice of untoasted bread. I did not start to appreciate the effect that toasting has on bread until I was in my very late teens! On Saturdays and Sundays we would have an omlette or fried eggs. What my family called poached egg was actually fried eggs! On special occasions when we would go to Bangla Academy in the morning, the breakfast used to be luchi and niramish. Nothing quite like how delicate and soft my late mother's luchi used to be..

Moving to UK, everything in the above paragraph continued except we would have it all indoors and no Bangla Academy. I recall one occasion when we had luchi for breakfast in a coach bound for Geneva!

I like the sound of your curried beans. I turned vegetarian around 1995 so the sound of fried aubergine or pumpkins sound delicious!