Thread: Spin Pipeline
View Single Post
Old October 15, 2012, 09:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Thanks for the feedback. My 2 theories (Sorry for repeating for those who have read it before)

1) Inspiration: Rafique was an iconic player, now Shakib is the poster boy and icon-not just in Bangladesh, respected around the world. Razzak has had terrific success in the shorter formats. Success breeds success. Imo inspiration is 20% of the reason we produce so many SLA's

2) Nature of wickets and type of batsmen: Our wickets are known for low bounce, where the ball doesnt come on to the bat. Also most of our batsmen are right handed, and their dominant hand is right. Which means their bottom hand is stronger. Naturally these guys love to play on the leg side, across the line. Now combine the two factors. Result: plenty of wickets via LBW's, getting cleaned up etc. You are more likely to succeed as an SLA in BD wickets, than an off spinner or a leg spinner. You dont need much variation, just the ability to bowl straight, over the wicket with an angle. The odd ball should turn, while one should throw in a few arm balls. Wickets, wickets, wickets.

Would love to see a Bangladeshi Akila Dananajaya. What a story that is. But i doubt that will happen, because our selectors are averse to risk taking. They will play Razzak match after match even if he flops day and night, saying he has experience. Also our age group coaches are very traditional minded-they go by the book. I highly doubt they will encourage anything unorthodox, which is why you wont see a Mendis or a Narine coming out of Bangladesh.