Old August 28, 2007, 04:44 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
Thumbs up Campbell a photo-finisher

Quote:
Athletics
Campbell a photo-finisher
Afp, Osaka

Jamaica's Veronica Campbell edged American Lauryn Williams in a photo-finish to win the women's world 100 metres title on Monday.

Campbell and Williams clocked an identical 11.01 seconds with the judges taking several minutes to declare the winner, briefly plunging the event into confusion.

Carmelita Jeter claimed bronze for the United States in 11.02 but there was disappointment for her teammate and former world champion Torri Edwards, who finished fourth.

Campbell, the Olympic 200m champion, made up for Jamaica's disappointment on Sunday when world 100m record-holder Asafa Powell was blown away by America's Tyson Gay.

It was a deserved victory for the 25-year-old from Kingston who ran the fastest semi in 10.99 and has the world's best time this year (10.89).

"It was one of my longest waits," she said of the agonising time it took to find out who had won.

"It was a bit confusing because the name was going back and forth but I want to thank God it was me.

"My start wasn't the greatest but I knew that I finished well. It was a very close race. I wasn't sure, it was a tight finish."

Williams was also confused at what was going on...

Link:http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=1734
I'll post the vid as soon as becomes available ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)