View Single Post
Old April 14, 2015, 03:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Syed Ashraful Haq (left) has been with the Asian Cricket Council since its formation in 1983 © AFP

One of the last executive board meetings of the Asian Cricket Council ended in Dubai on Tuesday with talks held over the staff's compensation and how it will function after June 30. CEO Syed Ashraful Huq's association with the ACC will also end, having been with the organisation from its first day of operation in 1983.

The financial committee, headed by N Srinivasan, and the executive board held their meetings in Dubai and the final gathering of the ACC members will be at the annual general meeting to be held in Kuala Lumpur in early June.
"In this meeting we discussed the reorganisation and found out more about the winding down process," Huq said. "We will operate out of Kuala Lumpur till June 30. ACC won't be renamed but now there will be another organization called the ACC Events which will work out of Singapore.

"Our AGM will be held in Kuala Lumpur in June. I am heading there and we will decide a date very soon. We will try to set a date that is well before the ICC annual conference which begins on June 22 in Barbados."

Discussions were mainly about how the staff will be remunerated as the office in Kuala Lumpur will be closed off. "We are also giving adequate staff compensation. It is not extraordinary but it is not a bad package," Huq said.

Some of the staff will be heading over to the ICC, including ACC coaches like Aminul Islam, the former Bangladesh captain, and Venkatapathy Raju.

"It will have a very skeletal office in Singapore with only two people working there. Bandula and Ganesh Sundarammoorthy will work out of ICC's Dubai office. Aminul Islam Bulbul, Rumesh Ratnayake, Iqbal Sikander and Venkatapathy Raju will also work for ICC from July 1," Huq said.

Huq himself will take stock of his future as an organiser having spent three decades with the ACC. A former general secretary of the Bangladesh Cricket Board, Huq was present during the formative days of the ACC and has worked in various positions.

"I have been associated with the ACC for 32 years. I was there from the first day, September 19, 1983. I was a joint secretary, administrative officer, secretary and finally the CEO. In the meeting, they were nice enough to tell me that a CEO wouldn't have any role in a two-man office. I am not sure if I will be back in Dhaka for good but I will go there from time to time.

Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo's Bangladesh correspondent. @isam84