View Single Post
Old December 5, 2012, 10:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

^ I think you are mistaken here in that it may not be easy to get away with not paying a hefty amount in taxes. So I'd also suggest consulting an experienced accountant. Unfortunately, whether we like it or not the government feels they have the right to track any significant amount of money we earn or transact for three primary reasons- so they can tax us on the portion that's taxable, identify fraud or money laundering, identify terrorist financing.

According to the bank secrecy act (laws contained in section 5311 through 5332 of Title 31 of the United States code), any cash transaction in excess of $10,000 must be reported on a Currency Transaction Report (CTR), identifying the individual making the transaction as well as the source of the cash. Refer to the United States section on this page.
These days as soon as a transaction in excess of $10,000 takes place, a CTR is issues electronically. If there’s any suspicion about the source it gets reported in the Suspicious Activity Report (SAR).

Even for businesses, any transaction above $10,000 must be notified to the govt by filling out IRS form 8300, whether it was earned legally or not. You can see this in the "Who must file" section under "General instructions"--
Each person engaged in a trade or business who, in the course of that trade or business, receives more than $10,000 in cash in one transaction or in two or more related transactions, must file Form 8300.

The penalty for violating such rules could be extremely severe. See the penalties section under "General instructions"--
These violations may also be subject to criminal prosecution which, upon conviction, may result in imprisonment of up to 5 years or fines of up to $250,000 for individuals and $500,000 for corporations or both.

I can understand where you're coming from as you work for a large bank. I've also worked on m&a deal teams and seen hundreds of millions of dollars transferred via wire with the click of a button. But you have to keep in mind these banks have their own regulatory divisions, which in turn constantly interact with the SEC and have frameworks in place that monitor these transactions. On top of that you have both internal and external auditors going through a large number of these transactions (including anything that might arouse suspicion) on a regular basis to identify irregularities.