View Single Post
Old June 8, 2019, 02:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Default The art of batting out your opponent

Often a team's primary purpose seems to be an experiment to study game pattern and behavior. The best lambs to sacrifice are the upcoming ones that are rungs a few below down the totem pole.

Bangladesh is happily the guinea pig in this rather ghastly experiment. I mean after Bangladesh defeated India in World Cup, India came back with a vengeance to knock Bangladesh off kilter by Sehwag batting them out. Again, interim we saw how Australian Shane Watson in single handed manner devoured Bangladesh. Of course, today England gave a knock out blow to Bangladesh having been knocked out themselves to avoid the sinister 'hat-trick' omen.

Now why I mention Bangladesh all the time? See Bangladesh are the wild card. Although Sri Lanka may lapse here and there and so have Pakistan, but at the end of the day ultimately they are still the former champs. And having experienced laurels on podium, you face your underdogs which again happened to be Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. From Bangladesh perspective it always played a role of being a punching bag for the big bullies of the world.

David Miller encore and I am sure if I statsguru I will find more as a I rack my brain. But ultimately the key thing to realize is that among other such qualities as having the ability to defend low totals, the tenacity to take wickets with asymmetrical asking run rates when opponent requires 16 from 9 with 2 wickets in hand, or to fetch 10 from last 3, or for that matter in the science of going berserk at death... is the art of batting your opponent out - which is Bangladesh yet to master!

Even when Bangladesh played Afghanistan, Kenya in the heydeys or Zimbabwe and Ireland, they failed to stamp with utter authority and damning domination. That's the thumbprint of a world thumper and we as fledglings pup have yet to grow Wolverinesque claws to etch with our paw marks.

Again the match was won when England were cruising along around the highway of 150+ bleeding few if any. And being a newly reconditioned team packed with powerhouse hitters and the dervishes with the will to summon demons to go berserk...

...at will.

Do we have team players like that? Do we have the ilks of Pandye, Juvraj or Yusuf Pathan?

Reason why England are hot favorite is because they have not only the aforesaid, but in truckloads thanks to their competitive, ad nauseum T20 league.

International cricket is not only about staying in your comfort zone and shell. It's about taking risks and chances and play like you have never played before. It's the time to throw your textbook out of the window after cramming all night and write that essay like you have never written before.

Bangladesh doesn't have that brand. India does. As does England this year and hence they are the bedazzlers of this summer. Other teams all do and that is why we only get a chance when Bangladesh is at the receiving end.

Quote:
And taking calculated risks is suddenly not a luxury but de rigeur. Former can be sorted out by an expert tactician. The latter you can't. That's your soul. That's what you are born with. And that's what you need to express yourself, because after all, cricket is more than just a game but rather an expression and extension of yourself.
You stomp your authority. Period. Yes, it is good to have a rough blueprint and strategy, but you want to multiply the pressure when going along nicely which Andrew Symonds does. McCullum does. Finch does. As does Warner and Rohit. And Shamim Chowdhury fears.

Sure it doesn't always play off as after three consecutive sixes one of the English players paid price today. But that's the price you pay for risk. And I personally don't wanna die wonderin' if that attractive girl would've said yes.

Unless Bangladesh manages to imprint and stamp authoritative mark of being the dominant ones and not underdog-of-playing-it-safe they will still be down the hierarchy and not the "it" team to be talked about.

Bangladesh need to ramp up behemoth performances at consistent basis. The key phrase is at consistent basis. Sure South Africa is no fluke. Bangladesh is way past that. But, however, South Africa is also the weakest link this semester and Bangladesh are far from dazzling us with similar consistencies where 350 is the lowest common denominator.

Goal setting helps. Chunking your team total's target helps. And taking calculated risks is suddenly not a luxury but de rigeur. Former can be sorted out by an expert tactician. The latter you can't. That's your soul. That's what you are born with. And that's what you need to express yourself, because after all, cricket is more than just a game but rather an expression and extension of yourself.

Although these early losses don't dictate the end game, but it has given us glimpse of a team's self-image, perception of one's self-belief and confidence backed up by solid performances.

Unfortunately Bangladesh has yet to have mastered this aspect with a rap sheet of assaults that England and India possess at the moment. Bangladesh, although, a whiz kid is unfortunately not the genius who has cracked this game like Holzhauer.

Because at the end of the day, it's always the "it" team that wins the championship. And the guy who takes the first chance, leaves with the item girl.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles