View Single Post
Old April 14, 2011, 05:04 AM
First Class Cricketer

Cricket has changed from Whatmore-era to Siddons-era. T20 has changed ODIs and now ODIs have, in general, higher scores. That probably answers your issue #1. ODI are high-scoring affair anyway now-a-days.

Any coach coaching Bangladesh will have to go with small things. Based on our player's skillset, communication skill, learning skill good coaches adjust their training to set smaller goals. Whatmore did that, Siddons did that. Siddons had the goal simple 'increase your batting average'. So after 3.5 years we have 3-4 batsmen with 30 avg. In Whatmore's time I think we had only Habibul Bashar.

About #2: My complain against BCB is not extending Siddon's player pool. During his 4 yr time Siddons wanted to stick to a selected 15 players. Not sure why, but my guess is the selection process to have 30 players is probably not clearly defined by BCB and not transparent. Probably that is why Siddons did not try scouting for players from national league or other local tournaments.

About #3. Agree with the game plan. Although we are a 10 year old test playing nation we get happy scoring 295 against Australia's 361. This mind-set need to be changed. Was the last ODI any close? Upto 30 overs - yes. After that we lost the plot.