View Single Post
Old February 12, 2007, 03:18 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakirc
Thanks for your valuable inputs. While all the data will be entered into one database, who can access which part should be well defined. Creating problems rules for data access with ample hardware-based firewall and encryption should solve most problems, however, is you talk about top notch hackers, well, everyone is vulnerable to them.
Think of these things: A database of 150 million people. To cover 150 mill there should be minimum of 10,000 data collection teams. With how many hits per second to updates, additions or deletions? May be there can be upload mechanism at the end of the day or something instead of realtime update when the data is getting gathered. Before the election time one can create standalone machines/laptops at the poll areas to verify real identity (info of people with that location or site).

I think any permanent structure can't be guarded 24/7. heck the small light post covers in the main streets in Dhaka gets stolen. The Telephone cable line gets stolen. We have to be realistic and know there are forces that would not want this type of improvement in BD.

Quote:
Regarding internet based app. I considered that as an option but then decided against it due to security concerns. This can be done in 2 different ways. One would be creating a nationwide WAN utilizing GPRS capabilities of cellphone operators and the other would be to have a server with each data collection team and data from all the servers will be integrated into one master server (Probably a super computer). Any redundant / confusing entries will be marked for further investigation.
This is a massive project itself to have a WAN which can handle the traffic and maintain a database. I have no idea what the infra structure is there in the first place which can handle data transfers of finger prints, retina scan etc.

Quote:
Along with the Army, I was thinking of utilizing senior students from BUET, Shahjalal Uni. etc. top universities as well as our already trained IT manpower (BASIS & BCC can help in this regard). Training of these people can run parallel to the procurement process which should be the lengthiest (3-6 months at least). You can get the data collection modules and database designed pretty quickly because despite the fact that it will deal with millions of records, the actual database structure does not need to be too complex (At least initially).
One must have a software in place first before we can have trainers and trainees. Do you have any software in mind or it would a writter by our local programmers? In that case the software must be compatible with the existing hardware. Are you planning to convert exiting data or start from scratch?
Quote:
Fortunately our EC and "Buero of Statistics" already have systems implemented for consensus type data collection. So I don't think planning will take that much time. My guess for planning would be 30-60 days, provided we can involve the right people for the job. This time will be required for the technical planning, software design etc.

According to my guesstimate, the time line should be as follows:

Planning - 45-60 Days
Software Procurement - 75-90 Days
Hardware procurement - 90 - 120 days (Parallel to software procurement)
Training - 60-90 Days (Parallel to the above)
Data Collection - 30 - 45 Days (Depending on volume of hardware purchase)
Data Integration, sorting, verification etc - 30 - 45 Days
Printing of ID card & Distribution - 45-60 Days (Depending on volume of hardware purchase)

Total Time: 60 + 120 + 45 + 45 + 60 = 330 Days Max
45 + 90 + 30 + 30 + 45 = 250 Days Min
This is a massive project with lots of players involved. Each and every division or stakeholders must be identified, co-ordinated and communicated thoroughly. That is the planning stage. 60 days planning phase is not an enough for this kind of massive project. Just to test/survey and feedback what will work, it may take 60 days. better to spend more time here than facing issues in implementing stage.

And printing 50 Million cards with fingerprint and photo in 60 days would not be feasible for even a Multinational company.

Some of the parts of the project must be outsourced if one has to make this project successful and in time.

No doubt, we must have something like this to move forward. Any govt. coming into power should address this issue.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; February 12, 2007 at 03:25 PM..