Thread: Hi Guys
View Single Post
Old August 30, 2003, 02:49 PM
Street Cricketer

Default Hi Guys

Hello friends,
I am from Pakistan, after reading the posts here it seems like you guys are taking Cricket as some sort of way of life, nothing short of religion. I also feel that this passion is only in following BD cricket. Cricket is just a game, and you guys should take it as a game.

I follow cricket but not just Pakistani cricket. I could care less if Pakistan team win or lose, I would not even have cared one bit if they had lost the game in Peshawar, at one point it looked that they would lose the game. I even wanted Bangladesh to win that game; the better of two teams in a game should win, in the end Pakistan came out on top, and one day in one of those games Bangladesh cricket team would be on the top.

The way cricket is played in Pakistan is probably not played anywhere in the world, because we take it as a game and we play it as a game. How many of you here have really played cricket I mean real cricket at club level? If you go to any Pakistani community in Pakistan or abroad any at least 60% of the guys have had played real competitive cricket at club level, even street cricket in Pakistan is very competitive.

About two years ago I had a chance to play with Aminul Islam, and Akram Khan in NJ/NY. We became good friends, while talking with him I felt that he was kind of in awe with the way we the regular players from Pakistan who never played any first class cricket understand cricket so well and play it on par with any first class cricketer of Pakistan, The reason for that is everyone plays cricket in Pakistan, the ones who makes it into the first class but never makes it into the international cricket are probably as good as any of the players who are playing in test team such as Hafeez, or hameed, the difference between their game do become apparent after these players spend some time in international arena, then those players become much batter. The funny thing is that a regular street cricketer is probably as good as the ones who play first class cricket, the only reason these street or club level cricketers don’t strive for first class cricket is because first class cricket is too tie consuming and it does not pay as much plus they lack that passion for the game, guys prefer to go to universities and peruse other career goals rather then waste time in fist class cricket, but still play cricket as a game every day in streets, and once a week at club level in grounds with hard ball.

Unless at least 60% of young guys 12 and up start playing cricket just as a game for enjoyment, until then it would be hard for Bangladesh to get good quality team. I was playing cricket in my backyard when I was 4 years old. So stop being so obsessive about cricket as a passion, and start playing the game as a game.