Thread: 400
View Single Post
Old April 12, 2004, 08:45 PM
Retired BC Admin

Default Lara congratulated by Hayden after record knock

West Indies captain Brian Lara has said he received a congratulatory phone call from Matthew Hayden after breaking the Australian's world batting record in the fourth test against England on Monday.

Lara became the first man to score 400 runs in a test match, regaining the record that Hayden had snatched from him with his 380 against Zimbabwe in Perth six months ago.

"He expressed that he had been listening (to the match) and was very happy for me and my family," Lara said at the end of the third day's play.

"I really do appreciate that he took the time out to call."

Lara said he believed the record was a possibility from the time he reached 200 for the seventh time in tests.

"At the end of the first day, I felt that the pitch was good and that if any batsman applied himself they could make a big score.

"I realised that the rate I was scoring at, there was a lot of time left in the game and it was possible."

With England holding a winning 3-0 lead in the four-match series, Lara reiterated that he would have liked to have scored more runs in the previous tests but hoped his innings would be a spur for West Indies to go on to better things.

"I am proud, definitely. I didn't miss having the record but it's great to have it again. Hopefully we can go on to win this and we can begin to get West Indies back on top again."

Declaring on 751 for five wickets, the home side have a good chance of salvaging some pride in the series after reducing England to 171 for five, 381 runs short of avoiding the follow on with two full days remaining.

GREAT REACTION

The West Indies captain said he had received several other phone calls to congratulate him almost ten years to the day after he made 375 to break the record held by another West Indian, Gary Sobers.

"The reaction has been great. I had a call from my Prime Minister (Patrick Manning) and also one from the golfer who has just finished second in the U.S. Masters, Ernie Els, who is a good friend of mine."

While Lara said he expected someone to break the record before too long, England captain Michael Vaughan was not as certain.

"It could be a while before anyone else scores 400," Vaughan said. "So the record could stand for a long time.

"It is an amazing achievement, to bat for two days and give only a half-chance is incredible.

"We gave him everything we had and he just threw it back at us. He is a true great of the game."

Reuters >>