View Single Post
Old June 14, 2018, 12:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ssei
Almost any country would suffer from financial losses by hosting WC as FIFA takes away most of the earnings. Do you think that Morocco wasn't aware of it? Did FIFA push them to bid?

Re: Canada, no they don't have the facility to host WC. Yes, they can co-host few matches. And they aren't as bad as Bangladesh or smth in FIFA ranking neither as good as USA. However, soccer (not basketball, not hockey or baseball) is the most played sports in Canada. Every kid in school play soccer. Hence, I said, it's good thing for Canada.
No FIFA didn't push them, but the people behind Morocco's bid - its government and its football governming body - all of whom are incentivized to think short term. A successful bid would do wonders for their career, at a severe cost to the nation.

Yes, all nations incur financial losses hosting, but some incur less. The cost for Canada, US, and Mexico is in the hundreds of millions range. For Morroco, it would be over 20 Billion. BIG difference.

Re: Canada. They actually do. They are hosting only 10 games across 3 stadiums. FIFA requires stadiums to host 40,000 minimum. I believe 2 of them can already host 60k+, and only one would need an upgrade. Much cheaper than Morocco literally building new stadiums.

Also, what you said doesn't change the fact that Canada still doesn't deserve to play based on merit. Even when it will expand to 48 teams, I doubt Canada would get in on merit.