View Single Post
Old September 20, 2012, 06:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
ATG Indian Subcontinent Test XI

1. Sourav Ganguly (C)
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Rahul Dravid (in the Subcontinent)/VVS Laxman (outside the Subcontinent)
4. Mahela Jayawardene
5. Javed Miandad
6. Aravinda de Silva
7. Kumar Sangakkara (WK)
8. Shakib Al Hasan (in the Subcontinent)/Imran Khan (outside the Subcontinent)
9. Wasim Akram
10. Waqar Younis
11. Muttiah Muralitharan
Sohel bhai,
This is surprising selection from a cricket sage like you and who did not grown up in internet age. Ganguly would not get a place in Indian all time test XI let SubContinent one and Dravid is better player in overseas condition then in subcontinent. Jaya as graceful player as he, but a FTB; Non Subcontinental test team could be without Hanif Md and Sunny.
My team would consist 2 opener, 3 middle order, 1 Wk (does not matter whether he could bat or not), 1 all rounder, 3 pacer and 1 spinner.
for opener there is no choice
1. Hanif mohammad and 2. S Gavasker. Honorable mention Shehwag and Watemuny
The most headache is middle order and two place is certainly occupy. those are tendy and miandad. For the remaining spot the contenders are Dravid, J Abbas, De Silva, Mendis, Sangakara, Youhanna, Vishy, Vengsarker, Laxman, Ganguly. My sentimental favorite would is Silva/ Abbas just the openers are accumulators. However the logical choice is Dravid. Sub continent has only 2 worthy all rounders - Kapil and Imran and the choice is simple. I belive Sakib has not yet reach their levels. As Imran is pace bowler we could play two spinners. The contenders - Murali, Qadir, Kumble, Indian famous quartet, Sakib and Saqlain. My picks are Murali and Qadir. Akram is sure shot for pacer position. For the other contenders are waqar, shoib, srinath, the tainted asif and Sarfaraz Newaz. As I could not decide between waqar and shoib I would let you decide. The W/K position is a tussle between W Bari and Kirmani. I am going againest the bald headed because of Bari's experience against quality fast bowler . So my all time sub continental XI in batting order
1. Gavasker
2. Hanif
3. Dravid
4. Tendy
5. Miandad
6. Imran
7. Bari
8. Akram
9. Waqar
10.Qadir
11. Murali