View Single Post
Old March 25, 2004, 06:48 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Sage

Quote:
Let me know what you think
Dude, have you read the books? Although you make a very interesting comparison, there are some factual errors in what you said. First Gollum/Smeagol is NOT meant to portray Gandhi! hahaha! There are no 'race' of Smeagols. He used to be a hobbit, but the ring turned him into an evil creature..

Second, the army of Mordor are Orcs, Trolls, Uruks. The Easterlings (the middle eastern type race) are their allies. Sauron and Sarumon did not create the Easterlings, and nor are they FROM Mordor.

Third, Middle Earth is not the Middle East. Middle Earth is inhabited by a number of different races (Elves, Hobbits, Humans). It is most likely the Middle East is where the Easterlings are from..

On the surface, his story does seem quite, for a want of a better word, 'racially stereotypical' (i do not want to use the word 'racist' ) , and the names and words he uses could mean anything if you do not read all the accompanying books. E.G. I thought Nazgul COULD mean Nazi Moghul. But it turns out from his _Guide to Names in The Lord of the Rings_ (A Tolkien Compass, p. 172):
"Ring-wraiths. This is a translation of the Black Speech Nazgu^l, from nazg 'ring' and gu^l, any one of the major invisible servants of Sauron dominated entirely by his will.". But then again, all the words from the 'Black Speech' sound uncannily like Turkish/Arabic/Persian to me.. Ergh.. i dunno i'm confused.

If you wanna find out more about the LOTR and make a plausible comparison, first read the books(!!) and also check out rec.arts.books.tolkien where you'll find a lot of LOTR nutters debating it out.

Oracle - you may like to check out the following (very interesting) article - J.R.R. Tolkien -- enemy of progress