View Single Post
Old May 12, 2012, 02:30 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
This is always an interesting point.

The facts are the team won just a single ODI and lost every series. Then they won 2 ODIs in the Asia Cup. It is widely felt that the BPL was the catalyst for those two wins.

But Stuart is a fine coach and he deserves to have those wins on his record during what was a tough time for him. I suspected he was never fully happy in Dhaka. Plus there were various reported incidents around the dressing room and with the upheaval of Shakib and Tamim losing their positions, team selection and interference. In the BPL itself, Sylhet Royals had a dreadful time, changing captain midway and having player issues. I think this would have been tough on Stuart.

Legacy is a difficult thing to quantify. Sometimes you get lucky and leave with a great record. Sometimes you don't. However, it is rarely controllable in such a short time at the helm. I would imagine that after difficult Sri Lanka and BD experiences, Stuart will be happy to go back to Australia to work locally in the academy and I imagine that decision was made well ahead of The Asia Cup.... the wins didn't help him to be "more attractive" therefore.
Agreed. Well put, as always.