View Single Post
Old May 6, 2012, 07:13 PM
Street Cricketer

Ex-Kiwi cricketers advocate 'dual coaching system' for different formats of game

ANISat, May 5, 2012 12:06 PM

Dion Nash
Former New Zealand players Mark Greatbatch and Dion Nash have endorsed the idea of having separate coaches for different formats of cricket for the national team, and expects this to happen in the future.

Nash thinks the move is just a natural expansion from having batting, bowling and fielding coaches, and could work well as long as all the coaches were singing from the same song sheet.

"With so much cricket being played, people can't commit to being on tour for 12 months of the year so you have to start thinking outside of the square to find a way of doing things. [Multiple coaches] is more feasible ... especially for younger people with families," Stuff.co.nz quoted Nash, as saying.

Former head coach Greatbatch believes the plan had merit, and is quite feasible.

He said: "One guy could probably do it, but with 50 over cricket and Twenty20 cricket you've got World Cups now and with different coaches those people have more time to work with certain players on different plans and strategies."

"I'm agreeing with the theory of having more than one coach, but I'm not sure about three; I think the second guy could do the Twenty20 and one-day stuff," he added.

New Zealand Cricket boss David White believes with a chock-a-block international schedule in the coming three years, the idea of dual coaching system makes sense, and he also claimed this week possibility of multiple coaches had been looked into.

"The Future Tours programme until 2020 is incredibly condensed, and there's virtually no time between tours. So going forward, we need to look at our coaches and support staff so we manage the workload, because it is incredibly demanding," White said.

Ian Wat Do u Suggest on this Statement ... Gud for Bangladesh Cricket Board.