View Single Post
Old January 26, 2005, 06:48 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
People both inside and outside bangladesh are in rather more than "a bit of worry", I'm afraid. Anyone who isn't fortunately can sleep better at night knowing everything is safe and sound back at the farm...Perhaps you too will inspect the issues a bit more closely (or differently) in time and come up with different conclusions that the ones you have drawn now.
Now this is where I step off and prefer not to argue at all... for it's not a new finding on my side that on this particular issue of 'Fundamentalism' people living outside the country have always been more concerned/worried than people living in the country(yes I disagree with you that BD ppl r in sort of considerable worry about the issue: this is probably why ppl frm outside the country don't find many 'serious' type of articles on the issue in the BD newspapers.. ).. and there must be some very good reason for it.. which is not visible to me.

The result is even these types of 'judgements' to 'even' the equation:
Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
I am sure you are aware of what is happening to many journalists who cover stories that are sensitive to one vested group or other - journalists are routinely harrassed, prevented from doing their job and even killed. Just check the CPJ (Center for Protection of Journalists) for data on the security of Bangladeshi journalists.
Coz.. so many(most of them) journalists have been killed by the underground leftist parties.. even though we still dont consider them to be a 'Rising Force' yet.. and never probably will..

For sure the reason is not that ppl frm BD itself r a bit of 'Careless' about the whole issue than the BD ppl living abroad... rather it could be something like the very much first hand information/experience of the ppl here about the 'other factors' involved in the 'highlighted incidents' or also the 'actual magnitude' of the things that is being highlighted outside the country. The reason could also be the 'manner' in which any news on this issue is presented to the outside world... which also includes any BD person who is for any reason having to stay outside the country.

Subjective Judgemental Error: The western world and the south asians r two very different types of society... many issues r taken to be of totally opposite outcome/magnitude betweeen these to 'opposite societies. This error of judgement surely comes when anyone makes the evaluation from a very much 'Subjective' point of view (i.e. judging another society with respect to the society he/she is surrounded by..).

So hei.. "Where is the next Islamic Revolution?".. pls don't look at Bangladesh.. when that question is asked by some NYT or whatever!!

And as for 'why?' the BD ppl r less concerned and worried thn ppl living outside the country.. well... it's something for them to figure out themselves... coz to me the reason is not so clear.. and I am less concerned about it as well! Maybe we are just having to deal with far more hardline problems that REALLY matters in the lives of our ppl and the affects the firm growth of the nation itself... most of which r barely ECONOMIC & SECURITY in reason... rather than some offspring fundies... Maybe there r far greater problems that the Countrymen r drowned into... that never leave them with any opportunity for the useless talk about fundies.. and then again.. when they do get the chance.. they beat the hell out off the 'self-declared-fundies' (just 1 day back.. public mob beat 3 members of the so called 'bangla-vai-gang' to death!)....

Best Wishes Everyone..